When Will I Ever Learn?
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." John Lennon
Two years ago I purchased two domains utilizing my full name. Then I kept running into walls, some walls were made of time, some of fear and others of exhaustion.
The hardest wall I ran into daily, felt like someone pushing me backward down an alleyway, saying, “Nobody will ever look for your name. Why would they? Just because you love to write, just because you want to reach readers and take them on adventures does not mean anyone will search for your Website. Why bother?”
No more excuses. Last week I signed up for an Audience Building seminar. I have to say I am loving it, and hating that I already feel behind the curve. Lesson two arrived in my email box and I sighed.
Last week, despite my very best mindset and intentions, lost in my stacks of paper, a misplaced bill cost two hours of technical work.
Determined to sign up for Web-hosting my first Website, I researched Blue Host vs. HostGator and made a choice. Then I did a practice run, searching WordPress.org for themes that fit my needs.
After hitting the “have to dos” for several days, I surrendered to writing for the joy of it. Something new and important to my life, the new vistas writing can bring.
No Obstacle Course When I Write First Drafts
- I love those delicious rare uninterrupted hours of pure delight.
- I love choosing my way in, the opening for my reader.
- I love knowing the ending and writing it first.
- I love getting lost in a storyteller’s yarn, even if the story has been hiding in my own head, for years.
This Dog Leader Mysteries began as a dare. I dared myself to build a blog. Quite by accident as I followed advice for branding my online voice, this blog tends to write itself.
- I pay for pleasure.
- I pay to keep puppy mill ads off this site.
- I pay for the domain name.
All things have their beginning. In the middle of writing this, I feel a letting go. Slowly, as I work on my author site, this blog take third place in time and energy.
Why third place?
- My first place holds my fiction, Dog Leader Mysteries.
- My second place holds my author Website.
- My third place must be my blog.
I declare this Monday and this week, “a week without walls.”