Alert to dog lovers everywhere.
1. Dog Lovers’ Warnings Matter. FDA Not Protecting Dogs.
Since 2007, dogs have been dying from chicken treats. These treats come from three big producers of pet products. The USA Food And Drug Administration (FDA) has not isolated what ingredient or ingredients in these products are toxic. As I sweep the World Wide Web, I find newspaper and site reports on the scope of this sad and upsetting story.
- I hope you will share this blog post with every dog lover you know.
- It is up to pet lovers to protect our pets.
- It is up to us to keep each other in the know.
- This is why I began this blog. Read more on my Welcome page.
Loss by Carley Evans
2. Do you know where your dog treats come from?
Many products do not list the true location of where pet treats and food are made. The larger the company the less likely the source of all ingredients or meat parts will be listed on the package.
I am sticking my neck out here. Beware of any product you don’t know where the meat and ingredients come from.
A number of Websites, dog owners and newspaper reports named China as a source of toxic meat products. Chicken breasts are not the meat of choice for cooking in China so chicken breasts get sold to pet treat makers.
3. Three chicken treats dogs ate before they sickened or died.
Three consumer named products reported by users as making dogs ill, piling up veterinary bills or causing their dog’s death.
- Wagging’ Train Jerky Treats or Tenders (Nestle Purina)
- Canyon Creek Ranch Jerky Treats or Tenders (Nestle Purina)
- Milo’s Kitchen Home-Style Dog Treats (Del Monte Corp)
I recommend you sign up for the Dog Food Advisor email updates on pet food recalls and reported toxic pet food and treats. They proved a source of current reports and hundreds of helpful comments from readers.
4. Class Action Law suits filed.
Read about chicken jerky illness in dogs. USA FDA records show and are tracking these. Meanwhile more dogs are dying. 3 big brands may be tied to chicken jerky illness in dogs by JoNel Aleccia.
May 31, 2012
“In Chicago a dog owner filed a class action lawsuit against Nestle Purina, claiming Waggin’ Train chicken jerky treats (made in China) killed his Pomeranian. In Illinois, a man claimed his dog died of kidney failure two weeks after eating the same product.
Wal-Mart Stores sell Waggin’ Train’ chicken jerky treats.
Lawsuit claims Nestle’ Purina and Waggin’ Train received over 500 complaints.” Summary of post on ohmidog!
Small dogs tend to die quickly after ingesting these treats.
5. Sign this petition to remove 3 toxic treats from sale.
Take action today.
- FDA: Nearly 1000 Pets Sickened by China-Made Dog Treats – TIME (newsfeed.time.com)
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Nestle-Purina and Walmart over Waggin’ Train Dog Treats (poisonedpets.com)
- Vets advise avoiding toxic treats while Purina tells vets it’s all lies (poisonedpets.com)
- FDA Investigates Safety Of Chicken Jerky Treats Made In China (denver.cbslocal.com)
- Pet Owners Say Dogs Died After Eating ‘Waggin’ Train Jerky Tenders’ Treats Made In China (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Canadian vets report of life-threatening dog illness linked to imported treats from US and China (poisonedpets.com)